கோயம்புத்தூர் நேரலை - இது கோவையின் இதயதுடிப்பு

» Latest News »

Jun 12, 2008

Participant In World Cup

M. Kiruthika, R.G. Anandhakannan and P. Srikandh, who are part of the Indian contingent for the first WKF Youth World Cup in Greece, with the officials. Hard work pays. R. Anandhakannan (GRG MHSS), P. Srikandh (Mani HSS) and M. Kiruthika (GRD MHSS), who have toiled hard for the past couple of years, have been duly rewarded with a place in the Indian squad for the inaugural edition of the WKF Youth World Cup karate championship to be held in Greece from June 29 to July 5.


Having got the chance of lifetime, they want to give it their best shot. “It was like flying in the skies when I heard the news. And, I don’t want to mess up the opportunity. I will give my heart out for my country,” says Kiruthika, a Class Eight student. Anandhakannan and Srikandh carry similar feelings. “I am hungry for the gold. Nothing else matters,” affirms Srikandh, who hit the headlines for his 24-hour marathon effort in kata in 2005.



The Plus One student wants to make the best use of his experience in Philippines in 2004 to achieve his goal. “I reached the quarterfinal there. This time around I am better prepared. So that gives me the extra confidence to make an impact,” adds the 15-year-old. Anandhakannan, a Class XII student, has no such international experience but he is oozing with confidence as well. “I watched a few of the international video clippings in kata and made some small comparison with those in India. I found some sequences were missing in me. I have corrected those and I am further sharpening myself to make a lasting impression,” he says.



Trained by experienced instructors such as V. Sinod, N. Karthikeyan and V. Balasubramaniam, all the three are being supported to a great extent by the federation, their respective schools, clubs and parents. “They are a lucky bunch. They may look raw but have the talent,” says World Cup silver medallist Sonika Vickraman. “I can see a scope in them. When they come back they will be the champions in India because this one chance will make a huge difference in their lives,” she adds.


About handling pressure, Sonika says they can adapt to the situation easily because they are stronger in technique. “There is nothing that these children do not know. They have been trained by good instructors and there is no way they will get overawed by the occasion.”Everybody is with them and with God on their side they will come back with the gold,” their parents are confident. The Indian team is led by Sensei Karate R. Thiagarajan and Sensei P.R. Ramessh, the President and General Secretary of the All India Karate Do Federation, respectively.

Related Posts by Categories



Google