கோயம்புத்தூர் நேரலை - இது கோவையின் இதயதுடிப்பு

» Latest News »

Apr 8, 2008

Kovai KRS Troupe - Drama Group From Kovai

The average age of this drama troupe is 55 and almost all its nine members have been permanent fixtures for the past 40 years. And the founder, script writer, producer, director and, above all, the hero of the plays of the Kovai KRS Troupe all through is “Kalaimamani” awardee K.S. Krishnan. “To me it is a divine art. After working in other troupes for four years, mine has all along been a single man show. Hence I have not been bothered about my balance sheet. I have been staging a minimum of 12 dramas every year,” Mr.Krishnan tells G.Satyamurty.
In the mid-60s, Coimbatore had 22 troupes.


His age of three score and eight does not show in his visage or physique except the fast tapering hair line. Hailing from Kizhakkancherry, near Palakkad, his family has settled down in Coimbatore. He had absolutely no stage background. Heading the only troupe in Coimbatore to have survived for so long, Mr.Krishnan has produced 55 plays, including five in Malayalam, and staged more than 2,500 shows, not only in Coimbatore but also in Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkatta, Nagpur and Bhopal.


“I started my life as a ‘supplier’ in a restaurant and my first play is highly autobiographical. Then my elder brother asked me why I am bringing what is happening in our family into the open. I confine myself to realistic, middle class family portrayals. I never go beyond this ‘Lakshman Reka’. I try neither mythological play nor bakthi drama; I admit I have no capacity to innovate.”
Even as working in a restaurant, he matriculated privately. By then the Cupid of Drama had bewitched him.

In the mid-60s, Coimbatore had 22 troupes. Mr.Krishnan started acting in the dramas produced by the Coimbatore Cultural Association. But, as most of the actors in the troupe were well educated, he felt he could not get enough chances to express his ability. And thus was born a troupe of his own on March 10, 1967. Initially, he directed and produced an one-hour play of Kovai Anuradha’s “Sambandhi Varugirar” and staged it on a road at a total expense of Rs.14. “What helped me was the rapport I had with who’s who of Coimbatore who were members of the cultural bodies. As I was the clerk of the Guru Guha Gana Sabha in 1965 and used to collect the subscription going door to door, everyone knew me personally.”



“For the full (running to two hours with even a duet) maiden drama I staged, I won seven awards and it was Marudhachalam Chettiar, owner of Shanmugha Theatre, who was impressed with my performance. Besides, it was because of the patronage of people like Velumani Ammal and C.G.Venkatramanan, I could come up in my life,” says Mr.Krishnan. And every year there used to be a drama competition and Mr.Krishnan has won the MGR Rolling Trophy as the hero, script writer, director and also producer. In 60s, women were not allowed to act and he has donned even the female role. He was bold enough to present a Pollachi girl in a drama. “Mine was the first amateur troupe in Coimbatore to have used a real woman for a female lead.”



He considers the entry of his troupe into Chennai a major achievement. “Those days, Chennai sabhas would not stage outsider’s dramas because they were not sure of our quality.” “It was RR Sabha which trusted me and my performance clicked.” His troupe started winning awards even in Chennai and he won the best comedy actor award in a competition organised by the Karthik Fine Arts. “Every year, I participate in the Karthik Fine Arts competition and I have won the K.Balachander Trophy for best director and S Vee Sekar Trophy for best comedy play.” So far, he has won 15 awards individually in various places and Kovai Anuradha and Kovai Sarala are among the well known artistes who have acted in his dramas.



Mr.Krishnan does not compromise on certain things. Drama should have make-up, costume and live music. It should have a message. “Though I have a mix of comedy with real life characters, I believe the audience while returning home would like to remember some message. I do not permit smoking, drinking or anything bad in my drama.” He considers the encomiums of the legendary cine director, K.Balachander, for his “Sneham” as the most satisfying.



His Ram Nagar-based drama, meant especially for youngsters, is “Poornasuthanthiram” which delineates the life of a good school teacher and his offspring. This has been staged 50 times, including in Delhi. Chairman of the Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan, Coimbatore Kendra, B. K.Krishnaraj Vanavarayaar, said “if one were not to have any reaction in his body after seeing this drama, there is something wrong with him.”



Similarly, his “Poramai”, which had five carnatic songs, has been staged 330 times. His effort to make this into a movie failed but it was telecast on DD. From 2001-06, he conducted annual drama festivals in Coimbatore. Mr.Krishnan observes artistes in Chennai can graduate to the level of TV and even cinema. “But in places like Coimbatore, we can progress no further. However, all of us work only for moral satisfaction. Hence, all that the Government can do is to establish a good auditorium in all the district headquarters. This can be given on a nominal rent for staging shows and the artistes can be allowed to rehearse free of cost.”

Related Posts by Categories



Google